CBE’s research staff has ongoing collaborations with students, faculty, and professionals from around the world who collaborate and make important contributions to our research.
We accept visiting scholars at any level, including graduate students (master or PhD), university faculty and building industry professionals. The application process is very competitive, and your statements are a critical part of the evaluation process, as there must be a relationship between your interests and CBE’s research.
Visiting scholars must have prior research experience, technical and writing skills, and familiarity with CBE’s research topics. Candidates must be able to demonstrate fluency in spoken and written English. We do not typically provide financial support for visiting scholars.
Visiting scholars will be required to pay University Service fees (typically $750-$1000) and visa fees, which will not be reimbursed. Cost details can be found here. To qualify for a visa (most likely a J-1 visa) you should show that you will have available at least $1800 per month, plus $500 per month for a spouse, and $300 per month for each child. For more information please the VSPA website.
How to Apply
To be considered for a visiting scholar appointment please provide the following information:
- Your CV with information on education, research experience, papers published and technical skills (e.g., software that you know well.)
- A one page description of the research that you would like to do at CBE.
- The period of time you would like to stay at CBE (and how much flexibility you have). It takes roughly 3-4 months to get a visa after approval by CBE.
- Verify that you are financially independent during your stay. If you are funded by an institutional source (e.g., a university, grant, or company) please let us know.
- Let us know if you will need a computer or if you are going to use your own laptop.